Moving to the Metro East IL?
Here are some Moving Tips, along with a Checklist
One Month Until Move
2 - 3 Weeks Until Move
- If you rent give your landlord notice.
- Contact utility companies to terminate any utilities in your name at current address.
- Contact utility companies to set up service at new address you'll be moving into.
- Start collecting packing materials.
- Start sorting your belongings into three piles: KeepTossStore
One Week Before Move
- Book a moving company or start collecting info on rental trucks.
- If needed, arrange moving transit insurance.
- Complete change of address card so the post office will forward your mail.
- Arrange for someone to watch any children and/or pets for the day of your move.
- Start packing things you won't need until after your move.
- Cancel monthly household services, i.e. newspaper delivery, cleaning personnel.
One Day Before Move
- Have meters read and pay any outstanding balances due.
- Arrange to pay for all your final bills at current address.
- If necessary make arrangements to return keys to landlord.
- Collect keys for new residence.
- Draft a sketch of your new residence and map out room assignments to give to people who will be moving your belongings into your new residence.
- Start checking out your storage options should you need them. Many places are a first comefirst serve for storage units.
Day Of Move
- Seal and label boxes.
- Pack a container for emergency supplies.
- Defrost fridge/freezer.
- Clean the house or apartment.
- Disconnect any remaining appliances.
- Turn off all lights.
- Close and lock doors and windows.
- Put down protection on the floors of your new residence.
- Account for all items moved to your new location.